Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: cheap Dell servers for next 4 days

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on
Thanks for the information, Connie. With Don's assistance I also got my 600-SC with SCSI so it should not be an issue. 😊 Jonathan, I did check Kingston and their memory is about half the cost of Crucial's. I am not familiar with Kingston though. Their 1GB DDR kit sells for $286 (2 512's), while Crucial sells for $429 for the same. Kingston doesn't provide much detail on the memory. I'll also check Mushkin out and see what they offer. Prices on the HD are pretty close to the $249 from Dell on pretty much everything I've seen so far. Anyone know of any place to get good deals on HD's?
Gilbert - I don't think you will need the Ultra 160 Adapter Card if you get the Ultra 320 drive that comes with the 600 SC. The HDC these days is on the drive. If I remember correctly, Ultra 320 is based on the SCSI-3 - Parallel Interface (SPI-4) standards which is the latest greatest. I think that you will only need the Ultra 160 card which is based on SCSI-3/SPI-3 standards if you have an Ultra 160 SCSI drive. Hope that helps a bit. Perhaps someone else can confirm this or not just to be sure...