Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: universal way of displaying lists of objects needed

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Timo,

Are those mailing list objects are like postings of this forum?  If yes then I guess it would be ok to put them into CR.  So they can also be searchable.  I am not 100% sure but I think this forums is also a CR app.  I think the bboard package is also a CR app, also not sure (a bit out of touch of OACS).

Since you are also looking at using package_id for your templating you may want to look at CR capability of relating a template on an item level.  Also the templating of CR does enable you to relate many templates on a single item.  You can use different context (not context_id) for each item.

Also I think the size of the table rowise is not much an issue for rdbms.  As long as things are properly queried and indexed.  This is what I have picked up here in OACS, of course I am not a db guru.

On the other hand CCM I think adopted the use of acs_objects.name column to display the name of the object, not sure also.

Anyway I am not saying that your proposal is not good, I am just offering some thoughts.  I can not decide on its merits as I am trying to keep up with OACS.  I think Don and others can give better thougths... Long day for me, I better sleep.