Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Just the database API

Collapse
4: Re: Just the database API (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Alfred, I have taken the ACS 4.2 database API, ad_page_contract, and various other useful Tcl things and made them work stand-alone in AOLserver. (For the purposes of this discussion, ACS 4.2 and OpenACS 4.6 should be pretty much the same.) Doing so wasn't all that hard, but it definitely wasn't trivial. For example, I remember having to make a few silly subtle little tweaks (ifdef'd for with ACS vs. without) which my testing showed were necessary, but which I never really did understand why.

I could send you an old tarball of that code if you want. However, it's old ACS 4.2 stuff, and somewhat hackish. I have not yet tried doing the same with recent OpenACS code, but based on my past experience I'm sure it could be made to work. (On snafu might be dealing with the query dispatcher, however.)

At any rate, I too would like to see the current OpenACS Tcl code be refactored for easy, drop-in use in non-OpenACS AOLserver environments, but so far I haven't done anything about it. It's rather far down on my personal list of priorities, currently. But definitely worth doing.