Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenACS Wiki

Collapse
6: Re: OpenACS Wiki (response to 1)
Posted by Jeroen van Dongen on
I'm fairly new to OACS, and I was actually looking for an OACS wiki implementation. Not having found one, I was about to start one myself - both to actually get one and as a nice 'problem set' for getting the hang of OACS (a wiki is essentially a pretty simple thing - it's the OACS bit that takes it to an 'interesting' level of difficulty for me).

To remark on one of the other posts in this thread with respect to using the CR - I was thinking of this, but had indeed questions with respect to whether or not the CR is capable/meant to handle dozens of 'micro-versions' - which is indeed typical for a wiki. As CR seems to store each revision just as a full copy (correct ?) this would seem inefficient to me.

It's still a little unclear to me how you're supposed to get the actual content-body out of the CR once it is put in there - but perhaps it is possible to make a Wiki-contenttype that uses just two revisions in the CR for each topic:
- one that contains the 'live revision'
- one that contains an RCS version of the same thing (to put it simply: the *,v file)

When adding a new version, the ',v file'-version updated and  _replaced_ (not added). Then the new version is 'checked out' into the live revision.

That way you can have both 'micro revisions' without getting excessive amounts of revisions in the CR and as long as you define an API for dealing with Wiki-types (which you have to do anyway AFACT) it should not be a problem for others.

Only problem I see is that there is no such thing as an RCS-library around - there're just the command line tools, which will only work on files.

Anyway - I'd love to see some existing code - can someone point me to it?

Rgds,
Jeroen van Dongen

Collapse
9: Re: OpenACS Wiki (response to 6)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Jeroen,

I'm not totally sure whether it is important to get into the complexities of RCS diffing the changes. Sure, it would be nice, but it seems to me that disk space is fairly cheap, and if you had some way of deleting revisions after a year or so, then it wouldn't be really that bad. It's just text after all.

I haven't used the CR before, so I'm not sure how difficult it is to use.

Are there any docs for the content repository? I didn't see any from the table of contents in the docs section of the website.

Collapse
11: Re: OpenACS Wiki (response to 9)
Posted by Jeroen van Dongen on
Jade,
I guess you're right as you say there's no real need to bring in the complexities of RCS - it's just that I'm familiar with that approach as it is used in TWiki (twiki.org; one of the more advanced wiki implementation) and it works very well.

In my (standard 4.6) installation there're docs for CR as well as for ETP (took me a while to realize it meant Edit This Page :). See also https://openacs.org/doc/acs-content-repository/

Had also a quick peek in the ETP docs and that looks very usefull indeed.

BTW - Is the code Dave has somehow available?