Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: cheap Dell servers for next 4 days

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I just got my system information after calling up Dell to get my customer and order numbers:

PE600SC,2.4GHZ/512K,533 FSB,P4,W/FLOPPY
128MB DDR, SDRAM 1X128
NO KEYBOARD OPTION
NO MONITOR OPTION
36GB,U320,SCSI,1IN 10K,68P
NO OS - O = OTHER
MOUSE OPTION NONE
ON-BOARD NIC
48X CD-ROM,PE 500SC
ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTATION ON CD
C8,SCSI ADD-IN,NO RAID,533
NBD,SVR,WANG,INIT (SC VLOW) BSD
NO WARRANTY,YRS 2 AND 3,L1
ONSITE INSTL DECLINED(SVR)
TRACKING,D AND C

Note both the SCSI drive and the "C8, SCSI ADD-IN, NO RAID, 533"

Either that's a controller or code for a motherboard with built-in SCSI (probably the latter as the 533 refers to the FSB speed)

I'm in!  A $389 SCSI box!

Collapse
Posted by Kent Durand on
I got our system a few days ago and it looks like a real nice server.  What I found out though is the "C8, SCSI ADD-IN, NO RAID, 533" is just a cable.  I thought there would be an onboard SCSI and an extra SCSI card but apparently not.  I spent an hour with Dell trying to get this part and all they sent me was a cable.  Did anyone else get something different?  My system information is the same as Don's except that I also have the "Controller Card, SCSI, 39160" added.
Collapse
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
It came as a suprise to me as well that the PowerEdge 600SC doesn't come with an on board SCSI controller. The board is a plain IDE motherboard. I was fortunate enough to have ordered the SCSI controller with the (FREE!) secondary 73Gb SCSI drive.

I think that not only their customers were utterly confused but their own staff too. Or they would have never shipped such an expensive drive for free.

/Bart