Forum OpenACS Development: Proposed Content Repository Modification: Keywords Apply To Versions

Hi All,

I am laying out my Media Contact Database and have decided that I would model it after the bug tracker and use the content repository to store the media contact data and the workflow package to manage edits to the data.

I will be building a heirarchy of keyword information and I want the keywords to apply to versions of an item rather than to the item, IE this item was classified as relating to the environment, but now it relates to environmental law.

The reason I want it attached to versions is so that approving changes in classification can become part of the workflow process.

I would like some community feedback here:
  o should I for the content repository
  o should I extend the content repository and add a keyword_version_map table
  o could we move the CR to have keywords point to versions.

Of these options, I will probably do number 2 first, unless other people are excited about this as well.

Cheers,

Carl

The notion behind the content repository is that the pieces which display content work with items, not revisions - the live revision is the one which should always be shown.

So any existing code you might want to use is structured this way, in particular code that lets you attach forms or templates to items.  It's all very consistent and I don't think we want to start breaking that consistency.  Karl Goldstein and his crew thought this stuff out in detail when they designed it, and I think the basic design is sound.

Are you wanting to in essence provide an audit trail of the changes in classification?

More than just versioning really,  I want classification to be included in the same workflow as content creation.  Authors and editors should be able to classify content but not have those changes made live until the classifications are approved.
Is rollback to an earlier version a desired feature or just approval of changes?