Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Preliminary vision statement open for discussion

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
My bullet list merely was meant to point out that these are things that currently exist in the union of OpenACS 4.6 and dotLRN 1.0 - well, other than "generalize the community stuff found in dotLRN"

Why would folks want to add "a way to define portal templates" to a work list when this already exists?

Now ... there's a lot of work left to do to move relevant pieces of dotLRN back into OpenACS and in some cases to generalize it, and of course the existing admin UI for group/role management is so obscure and obtuse that I may be the only person who understands that it provides this facility.  Lars has the design of a new admin UI on his plate, and if dotWRK folk want to help implement it or help with the UI design why sure, that would be fantastic.

I just want to make sure that people understand which of the necessary pieces already exist in some form.  When I see a work item labelled "solid generic group management" it's not clear to me whether the person writing this understands that OpenACS 4.6 simply lacks good UI for this, or whether the person writing this believes that there's nothing in the toolkit that provides generic group management.

As far as the list of applications you're developing - I think it's an ambitious and exciting list.  It would be great to see people working on such things.