Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Portal port from dotLRN to OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
We definitely want to use the refactored version, i.e. to finish it.  I'd suggest ignoring new-portal from dotLRN at the  moment and concentrate on getting the refactored version running standalone.

As I mentioned earlier in e-mail, I was planning to pick this up myself in a few weeks, so even if you don't get finished in the time you have available the work you do will be a big help.

We definitely don't want a dependency on static portlet but I'm willing to be the person to figure out how to re-integrate the refactored portals package to dotLRN.

Or not, to be honest, if it looks like an incredible PITA to do so (the upgrade scripts being the biggest PITA)

While I don't want us to have both versions if at all possible, the most important thing to me is to get the refactored version working properly as a package integrated into OpenACS 4 without dotLRN.  The refactored version is a lot cleaner and the datamodel's somewhat lighter (they only made things objects which really need to be objects, which can save a considerable amount of space on an installation like Sloan which has thousands of users each with their own personal portal)

Collapse
Posted by Denis Roy on
Don,

we are also interested in having a stand-alone portal package. In fact, if we can somehow fit it into our client's timeline, we might end up doing it rather sooner than later.

Can you give me a short overview of what needs to be done and a conservative estimation on how long it would take to finish the refactored portal package?