Forum OpenACS Q&A: workflow combination

Collapse
Posted by Liesbeth Dusink on
we want to link several workflows because we have different kinds of objects where an object in one workflow can trigger transitions in another workflow.
Is this possible, if yes, how do we do it?
Collapse
2: Re: workflow combination (response to 1)
Posted by John Sequeira on
Liesbeth,

Nested workflows or workflow interdependencies are not directly supported by the package,  but you can of course hack  it in by using callbacks which trigger related workflow events.

You'll see some examples of this in my prototye peer review module:

http://amped.dnsalias.com:8000/peer-review.tgz

In it,  I model the document to be reviewed as a single workflow,  and each individual reviewer solicitation/confirmation/submission cycle as a sub-workflow.

The code won't run,  but perhaps my callbacks might help you.

Collapse
3: Re: workflow combination (response to 1)
Posted by Michael Feldstein on
John, do you have plans to finish this module? It looks like it could have value for dotLRN.
Collapse
4: Re: workflow combination (response to 3)
Posted by John Sequeira on
Michael,

As much as I would like to see it used,  right now I don't plan on finishing it.  I think that given how much customization this type of solution entails,  the likelihood of a feature-complete, debugged version being much more useful that what I've got right now is low.

Apache support for OpenACS is at the top of my list right now.

Collapse
5: Re: workflow combination (response to 1)
Posted by Liesbeth Dusink on
John,

I would like to give a reply based on the contents of your work, but the link you gave me times out every time I try to connect.

Liesbeth

by the way, another problem I foresee is the changing of the workflow(s) and how to handle the objects when their workflow changes before they are done