Forum OpenACS Development: Re: ad_form all over the place?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Every item you point out is a form builder issue, not an ad_form issue. I'm not trying to belittle them as issues, just trying to clarify the fact that these questions have nothing to do with ad_form per se.

A question, though ... if I have a column in a database table that's (say) 50 characters wide ... do I want a designer changing the size of the input widget to 100 characters? Or 3 characters? Isn't this exactly the kind of thing I as a programmer want to control?

select lists can certainly be pulled from the database, and you can do so for label names too (necessary for localized packages) however undoubtably this could all be made simpler still. I'm the last to suggest that ad_form is in its final form, people have been adding stuff to it steadily.

Regarding documentation, have you read Jon's? If so and you find it lacking communicate with him, I'm sure he'll add to it. Of course we do need to integrate this with the distributed docs, my point is that documentation's not being ignored. Jon volunteered to do it months ago, has done some, and surely is open to suggestions for improvements.

Unfortunately the underlying form builder itself is poorly documented, too, and getting that straightened out is yet another documentation issue.

I do think that, yes, people expecting to work on core packages are going to have to learn the templating system including the form builder/ad_form way of building forms.