Forum .LRN Q&A: Devanagari translation of dotlrn

Collapse
Posted by Sachin Patil on
Hi
I would like to help in the devanagari translation of dotlrn (mainly a couple of indian languages like hindi and tamil).I looked for these options in /acs-lang/admin -> Edit messages but could not find any pointers to do the same.
Could anyone please help me out as to where to begin from and get the required charsets from?I am currently runing a succesful installation on my RH-Linux-8.0 box.
Thanks a lot
Sachin
Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Sachin,
glad to hear that want to help in the translation of dotLRN!

Try adding the locales that you need in the acs-lang/admin interface and just set the charsets to UTF8 for now, we can change them later. Let me know if there is anything that prevents you from starting your translations.

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
Sachin, could you post a complete list of all languages that you are planning to translate? Specifically, does it incluce Telugu? (I know some guys who might want to help out with that one)
Collapse
Posted by Sachin Patil on
Hi
Thanks a lot for the help but I could not find references to NLS and MIME charsets for indian languages nor is there any in-built support in web browsers to view content in these languages.
Could any one advise me on as to how can I overcome this problem?
Thanks a ton
Sachin
Collapse
Posted by Samir Joshi on
Hi Sachin, Tilmann,

This is a fundamental problem - we are still in process of having basic infrastructure for the Indian languages, it has not much to do with OpenACS. For each of the offcial languages, there is a resource center set up - they would be best people to get help from. Here is the list :

http://tdil.mit.gov.in/resource_centre.htm

-Samir