Forum OpenACS Development: package_id, context and inheritance

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
In finishing the contacts package I have run into an issue I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer to.
contact_id is the primary_key and is derived from persons. This leads to a problem if you want subsite aware packages as well as other permission problems (private address books, etc.)

One example:

You have two user types, employee and agent. In general I could mount 2 instances of contacts. The problem is that agents should have admin on thier own record and (possibly) read on other agents. Employees should have admin on ALL contacts in the system. How to deal with that, since all are derived from persons?

Another case, you want to have an address book service. All your registered users can add their own contacts and all should be private, but again, it is not easy to change permissions, especially since email is unique.

I may be to tired to think this through, but it seems like yet another problem in the design of parties/persons/users, specifically the whole system being dependent on email as a means of identity.

Am I overlooking a way to add this context layer into contacts? I hope so.

Collapse
Posted by Barry Books on
I had this problem also. I use subsites to represent companies and I needed different contact info for a person by company.

It seems like the rels interface would be better for contacts. Then you could add a contact to any object and you could add a person object as an attribute on contact.