Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Greenpeace: Pay up!

Collapse
3: Re: Greenpeace: Pay up! (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
I just checked your cronjob package and see no documentation whatsoever.

I tell you what, Tom ... when you reach the level of documentation for your contributions to the toolkit to that you demand of others, I'll listen to you.

Having said this ... it *is* mostly just a wrapper around the form builder, and documentation on widgets, datatypes (like the "date" datatype that give folks fits) should be written for the form builder in general, not ad_form.

Because not everyone will use ad_form, some will use the form builder directly.  So widget docs etc really belong there.  I do plan to write documentation once things calm down a bit.  Currently I'm quite busy pushing 4.6.2 and dotLRN 1.0 out the door.

As far as blaming Greenpeace goes ... posts like this will just encourage clients to refuse to GPL their code.  They've found the documentation reasonable for their needs, and that's really all they should be asked to pay for.  Make unreasonable demands of paying clients and they'll just stop giving code back to the project.

No one is forcing you to use ad_form.  If you don't like it, don't use it.  Other people are using it because they find it a lot easier to use than the form builder natively.

One result of this is that new features have been added by others that haven't necessarily been documented. Surely you can't blame Greenpeace for the actions of others.

If you insist that ad_form not be used in core packages, will you pay me for the extra time it takes to write form-handling pages using the form builder natively?  I find it takes me about 1/2 as long to create such pages using ad_form and that they typically work the first time.  I'm sure as hell not going to eat that time for free just because you don't like the code.