Forum OpenACS Q&A: OT: ConnX real-time OLAP

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Anybody ever used this CONNX company's "real-time data access to corporate enterprise data" products?

I don't have any use for it myself, but I stumbled across the company because Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> seemed to be saying various smart things about sort algorithms on the PostgreSQL Hackers mailing list. Anyway, it sounds kind of interesting. Support for 11 different databases, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Sybase, SQL Server, etc. From their website:

"The CONNX Oracle module provides secure, real-time, read/write access to Oracle databases running on any platform."

"The CONNX SQL Server module provides secure, real-time, read/write access to SQL Server."

"In conjunction with other CONNX modules, you can perform seamless joins between two or more supported disparate databases. With CONNX a single metadata model can be created that spans all enterprise data sources and applications requiring data access."

Collapse
Posted by Gabriel Ricard on
This reminds me of IBM's recent commercials where the top brass in some large company are in a meeting room with some techie guy who shows them this "universal adapter" that will plug their whole infrastructure together...

... and then they ask about Europe and he says it needs an adapter.

Collapse
Posted by John Sequeira on
See also,  Virtuoso

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/03/21/12virtuoso_1.html?s=tc

Jon Udell keeps writing glowing reviews about this product,  but I have my doubts.  I've never seen a project where a simple, periodic synchronization script (or replication, if you're gutsy) wasn't preferable to

1) running an ISV's sales force gauntlet,  and
2) creating a major new architectural dependency.