Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: cheap Dell servers for next 4 days

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
interesting, you originally said
Running memtest86 on the paltry 128 MB (but registered ECC!) RAM from Dell shows 49 errors within the first minute or two, most almost immediately, then no additional errors over several hours.
I had no idea yours was freezing too. I probably wouldn't have been so quick to return it if I'd known someone else was in the same boat... That's 3 boards now, maybe it _is_ something on the memtest86 side.

Good luck, I'll be curious to see how it works out for you.

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
Jonathan, yes, I believe I was originally mistaken and simply didn't notice that memtest86 was sitting there frozen doing nothing for several hours! But I looked again this time, and hm, the progress bar never moved, nothing. In hindsight I think it was doing the same thing before too.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I just recently tested my Dell. I experience the exact behavior as Jonathan and Andrew: memtest86 throws a bunch of errors then locks up.

I'm going to have faith in Dell and let it be for now. Weighing in that decision is that I just don't have time to return and buy a new computer for my mom (she'll be using it on her clinic).

Can someone confirm to me the type of RAM that I need to get for this machine? I don't know where my invoice is and need to purchase some more.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
PC2100 Registered ECC. That's what Dell sent me, and what I bought more of. (I didn't check whether the motherboard is capable of using higher speed RAM or not, I just assumed Dell must have sent me the fastest RAM that would work.)

Their prices seemed to the lowest at the time, so I bought mine at newegg.com. I've ended up buying a large percentage of my computer stuff at New Egg, they're a good vendor. techbargains.com is a good place to compare RAM prices. Sometimes Crucial's prices are actually the best but usually not.