Forum OpenACS Q&A: Upgrade to 4.6.2

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
For some reason the apm seems to have changed, leaving upgraded sites dead.

Here is the message:

Error: Unable to source /home/jon/web/salsab/live/packag
es/acs-bootstrap-installer/installer/admin.tcl: file does not exist.
That file is not in cvs, but something wants to source it.
Collapse
2: Re: Upgrade to 4.6.2 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Are you trying to upgrade from the tarball or from CVS???
Collapse
3: Re: Upgrade to 4.6.2 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Could you at least track down where it's being sourced from?

I just used the APM to install a package on my 4.6.2 instance a couple of hours ago.  Worked fine.

Collapse
4: Re: Upgrade to 4.6.2 (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
It was cvs, and I tracked it down. It is a problem with some changes in pg 7.3.

I should have updated acs before upgrading to 7.3 but I figured that running the scripts by hand would work, they don't.

I am tracking down a possible bug in apm_package_version__new, that seems to have a syntax error (extra '). I also think there is a problem with ad_verify_install that breaks on upgrades. I haven't looked at that yet, I bypassed it to get the site back up.

Collapse
5: Re: Upgrade to 4.6.2 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
If there's an extra ' in a PL/pgSQL function it won't compile.

So, are you working with CVS HEAD (known to be broken, scheduled to be fixed starting sometime late next week after Jeff Davis returns from vacation) or the oacs-4-6 branch?

Collapse
6: Re: Upgrade to 4.6.2 (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
You know ... we've been quite clear that versions prior to OpenACS 4.6.2 don't work with PG 7.3.  I have no idea why you thought that upgrading your site to PG 7.3 first, followed by upgrading to OpenACS 4.6.2, would work.  Why would you expect it to?

There's also trickiness in upgrading acs-kernel from 4.6.1 to 4.6.2, handled by some special-case upgrade code.

You might not have gotten things right if you tried to upgrade  by hand rather than from the APM, it might've screwed up because you upgraded to PG 7.3 first, it might've screwed up because you're working from CVS rather than the release tarball.

Or it's possible the upgrade scripts are messed up, as you insist is true.

Until you find out for sure, you might consider backing off your angry comments that no one but Jon Griffith understands the importance of upgrade srripts, that we were derelict in not providing them for 4.6.2, etc etc etc ... because the problem may be cockpit error on your end after all.