Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Category Package

Collapse
10: Re: Category Package (response to 1)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi,

We have developed an extension to Postgres tthat does *automatic* classification. A machine learning algorithm has to be trained first, using already "tagged" data. Afterwards the classifier does it automatically. We have done tests with several collections of documents and the accurracy is excellent, often as good as human.

We have not had the time (or need) to package it as an openACS package, but will hopefully be done soon.
My idea is that it could be an extension to the content repository, or maybe application specific.

I think that Timo's package is something different.

Collapse
11: Re: Category Package (response to 10)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hello Rafael,

what is really important here is the fact that your package classifies the data within the categorization system Timo developed if possible. Btw.: Awesome that it works so well! This might proove to be a very good alternative to Autonomy (something I've been looking for quite a while).

Once we have a little bit less workload, we would definitly like to take a peek at it and look into ways for integration, unless you are keen on doing it :). I think around 80k AIESEC people will be very grateful if they don't have to categorize all the documents by hand :).

How do you store the classification so far?

Collapse
12: Re: Category Package (response to 11)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi Malte

Yes, the system does the same as Autonomy (I haven't used their products).

The paper:
Williams K., R. A. Calvo and D. Bell. Automatic Categorization of Questions for a Mathematics Education Service. Artificial Intelligence in Education Conference. Sydney, Australia. July 2003

at:
http://www.weg.ee.usyd.edu.au/people/rafa/papers/

explains what we did.

cheers

Collapse
14: Re: Category Package (response to 12)
Posted by Bruno Mattarollo on
Hello Rafael,

That would be very interesting for an "asset management" package for OpenACS ... I wish this could also be done for Oracle ;)

This is very interesting developments hapenning in the community towards getting OpenACS in the core of the enterprise systems, it's very promissing.

Keep on the good work!

/B