Forum OpenACS Development: Re: named objects

Collapse
2: Re: named objects (response to 1)
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
I don't think we should rule out multilinguality right from the beginning, *especially* not with a categorization module. I18N is a conscious decision that affects scalability anyway!

The fact that the current solution is not I18Nized doesn't mean that a future and hopefully *better* solution doesn't need to support multiple languages.

I don't know anything about I18N yet, but a viable solution could be to add the default name to acs_objects and localized names to acs_object_names.

Maybe Peter or Lars could tell us a fair bit of how I18N could work here and how it would affect the categorization package.

Collapse
4: Re: named objects (response to 2)
Posted by Timo Hentschel on
You got me wrong: I use multilingualism in my categories package so that every category can be translated in several languages. To speed up queries, I actually cache all names and  let a tcl proc figure out the name in a particular language (if there is none available in that language use the default language - extremely hard to do that in a sql query). All I'm saying is that I don't see a fast and scalable way to do so when storing object names and we currently didn't have that feature when using acs_object.name either.