Forum OpenACS Q&A: New to OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Ashwani Gaur on
Hi All,

I am new to OpenACS but have manuals of CCM, i thought that manual will be of great help since CCM is name for ARSDigita by redhat and OpenACS is retrieved from ARSDigita only, but UI in CCM manuals and OpenACS UI are completely different, i want to implement Content Management System with author, editor and publisher as roles but couldn't neither define them nor find them in OpenACS UI, may be i am missing something, can someone point me to the Step by Step guide of OpenACS for Content Management.

Tutorial which comes with OpenACS-CMS is not of much help.

Also when i try to run demo.sql in database context it gives error and no demo template folder is created.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as i am stuck and couldn't move forward.

Thanks,
Ashwani.

Collapse
2: Re: New to OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Hi Ashwani.

I'm really not the person to respond to this, as I haven't even looked at the OpenACS CMS, but my understanding is that the data model is very good, but the UI for it really sucks. There are quite a few people interested in improving that situation, but for now, the documentation and UI both need a lot of work.

I'm sure some other people here would be happy to answer questions about the CCM. You can also get real-time responses on #openacs on IRC, most likely.

Collapse
3: Re: New to OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Ashwani,

CCM or now called RHEA is different from OpenACS CMS.  Although both have little tutorial.  RHEA does have a slightly better UI, but the functionality is similar.  There CMS do have a similar looking data model, but upon looking at it deeper they are actually very different.  RHEA and OACS core data model is similar.

In OpenACS the CMS heart is Content Repository (CR) and other applications such as file storage, bug tracket, etc. make use of CR.  In RHEA currently only CMS makes use of the CMS data model.

You can look at this post for the difference in OpenACS and RHEA data model.

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/redhat-ccm-list/2003-February/000791.html

Hope this puts some introduction to the difference and similarities of OpenACS and RHEA.