Forum OpenACS CMS: Re: Needed: a detailed investigation into the status of the existing old CMS

Hi Danielle,

I don't remember giving a Mid June commitment.  Did you do that DaveB?  :)

Anyway like what I have said both me and DaveB will be working to move BCMS forward.  I have also another new guy (Jeff, not Jeff Davis), which I have already started briefing with OACS, CR and BCMS a few days ago.  I have started refactoring my old code.  If Jeff is not able to get our new project by May and we are likely to hit that Mid June commitment.  Or if we get a project to move BCMS forward then we might not as well wait for those other projects.  And maybe have it as early as end of May.

You can muck around demo site here:

http://66.250.57.130:9080/1ic/
http://66.250.57.130:9080/site/

Right now the immediate timeline is for me to finish my refactored code.  Have Jeff do a 2nd UI for BCMS, which should also serve his training for CR and BCMS.  After which bring the UI that is being used on the demo site to use the new refactored code.  Maybe if time and resources permit create a 3rd UI that will use BCMS and the new workflow.  I think I should also start making some SIMPLE docs after the code refactor is finished, which should help DaveB and subsequently evolve to be the docs to be used by other developers when its released.

That is the plan, but then again it will be volunteer effort.  I have bills and rent to pay, so client projects will sadly come first.  But I have put some effort and time in it.  So we have a working one (see demo site), but I am not just happy to release it.  Right now I have 3 packages and a lot of refactored code.

Regarding the real question of thread:  "Needed: a detailed investigation into the status of the existing old CMS"  I believe the CMS in functionaly very very good.  Also if someone is able to change its UI its a big improvement.  But for me on a business perspective I can not invest time and resources on it.  Because I have already set my goal that I need something that I can build custom for a client.  No matter how complete or good the UI is, if it takes a long time for me to customize it I can not sell it.  So if the current CMS is easy to customize, then why is it still in its current state despite having a feedback that its UI is horrible for such a long time.  Also if the design is not to easily put OACS core stuff together.  Then I think I can not go with it.  For example now that Lars has put a new workflow package, how can the current CMS use that?  Instead of using the old acs-workflow?

I also think that the current CMS is not the real CMS, the real CMS is CR.  Not CMS.  But CMS is the only current package that makes use of CR fully and properly.  Also CMS has more functions than what a CMS should have.  Because I think historically CMS was a separate app.

Anyway as for me its just an good bonus if I get BCMS as part of OACS.  I would be nice, but I need to put some effort and investment on it to put hopefully some food on the table.  My current analysis is that I can not gamble with the current CMS.

Thanks.