Forum OpenACS Development: Re: RFC: PostgreSQL-specific packages

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Don, the first two packages, i.e. dmoz and rss, are normal openacs packages.

<blockquote>>>>
</blockquote>
I don't see that anarchistic programming practices are a good idea.
<<<<

I would be very interested to hear your definition of "anarchistic programming practices". The software engineering community has well adopted design patterns as *the* concept for best practices in the field and xotcl provides tcl constructs for implementing design patterns.

As I already said, I am not advocating that OpenACS should follow this path but I would say quite the opposite, i.e. it is OpenACS that has way to many hacks and thus increasing the learning curve.

You are right when you say that the packages I mention in the end of my message, i.e. bookmarks and the persistence layer, were just some experiments of mine but as I clarified in my previous message, I were only bringing people up to date with my work.

<blockquote>>>>
</blockquote>
You may have to be content to put up your own repository of custom packages if you prefer using tools that aren't part of the toolkit.
<<<<

That could be an option that I have not considered yet. However, I would rather spend some time around here and when the time comes for such a repository, myself will do so in such a way that it won't conflict with my OpenACS developer attribute -- I will ask for suggestions from the community in what way that could be accomplished so that there would be no differences (but that's for *when/if* the time comes for such a repository).

I hope this is a more complete reply to your message. I would gladly clarify any mood points. Comments?