Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: organize openacs.org!

Collapse
29: Re: organize openacs.org! (response to 1)
Posted by Lamar Owen on
It sounds like Mike has thought all of this through quite thoroughly.  As furfly has been in the ACS hosting business quite some time, going with his instincts is probably a good thing.

If it were my job to do, I would do it the same way.  In fact, I have done migrations on RAID the same way, keeping one of the mirrors for archives and for an emergency "everything else broke" reboot/recovery disk.

The only thing I would recommend is that a specific time that is convenient to Mike be scheduled well ahead of time, with a prominent notice on the web page and a post made to all forums (so that everybody who gets notifications can be notified even if they don't visit the site regularly).  Then we all know to expect the downtime, which will probably be several hours even if everything goes perfectly.

From reading his post, I am quite comfortable with his ability to perform this.

On another issue, I am of the opinion (having sysadminned for 15 years) that there be at most three people with administrative rights.  These three people need to be in physically separate areas.  These three people need root, either directly or via sudo. These three people need to be able to work well together and be able to agree on sysadmin style, etc.  If Mike just wants to be the physical machine's admin, then I suggest that at most three core team members (or core team designees) have root access rights.

More 'cooks' than that is a recipe for trouble.  No, I don't want it, either 😊.  I have root on too many machines already.... 😊

For specific admin access, others could be members of groups with access to directories and files for specific uses.  But more than three roots can easily cause trouble.