Forum OpenACS Development: Re: RFC: PostgreSQL-specific packages

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
A short reply and the rest when I'm back home:

There are several places that I do not agree with the xotcl case. However, I understand why Don is sceptical from the perspective of the code maintainer of a large software project. No suggestions of changing OpenACS though.

<blockquote>>>>
</blockquote>
I mentioned rewriting OpenACS because at one point Neophytos had talked about perhaps wanting to do so, keeping parts of the datamodel but having a persistence layer designed in from the beginning, using xotcl, etc etc.

I just want to make sure that he understands that if he (or anyone else) is interested in starting such a project, we might host it here, there might be others interested, etc.  But ... it would be a *separate* project altogether.
<<<<

Yes, Don and I, discussed this during last summer. I'm surely (still) interested in starting such a project. Yes, it could be hosted here (that was the idea back then) as a *separate* project if there are no serious objections.

However, I would like to avoid any conflicts with my OpenACS developer attribute (comments?) -- I'll continue developing for OpenACS as I have been doing for the past few months.

There's nothing solid in the sense of a whole product but some pieces are ready.

What do you think?