Forum OpenACS Development: Re: I18N - A sample internationalisation package

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Have you looked at the OACS 5.0 (what we earlier called 4.7, I should post our current view of the numbering system when I get a chance, we discussed it at Copenhagen) stuff closely?

There seems to be a lot of overlap but not full overlap.  In particular our current effort doesn't include custom language templates and that may be something we want to merge in.

Also OACS 5.0 doesn't provide "smart URLs".  However I've done this for Greenpeace so might want to compare your implementation with mine.  The Greenpeace solution includes admin UI to allow a regional organization to define which languages are legal for each subsite, and the request processor only allows these defined mappings (using cached data so there's no db lookup involved.)  So it might be a bit more complete than your implementation which, from your description, is oriented more towards implementing one scheme for the entire site without consideration of subsite specific needs.  Am I right?

This looks like interesting work, yes.  Hopefully we can all coordinate as the OACS 5.0 effort ramps up over the next few weeks.

Collapse
Posted by Thomas Taylor on
I have to admit, that I did not have too close a look at OACS 5.0. The thing is, the smart URLs part has been done by Tilmann Singer, who - as far as I know - adapted your code from Greenpeace. Our implementation does not distinguish subsites.

The package is not properly finished as such. As it was developed for UNIDO it is tightly intervowen with the unido content package, and as I learned that there is an i18n coming up with OACS 5.0 there should be no need to do such a package twice.
If I can be of help in any way, let me know.