Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Relationships, Relationsegments, Groups, Subsites

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on

I gave the group, rels admin a pretty good workout recently and everything was working for me other than the /acs-admin/users search form which is documented here near the bottom. So I'm very interested to find out what exactly is not functioning.

The UI is rather difficult to work with and the group-role style admin UI that Don and Lars are proposing would be a big improvement. I am going to need to set-up a fairly involved groups hierarchy soon to enable permissioning to specific parts (of what will evolve into a rather complex web site) for some individuals and not for others. I am not looking forward to dealing with the current UI. I recently checked out dotLrn for the first time and the approach taken there is very nice.

Collapse
Posted by Thomas Taylor on
To add a user to a group via the standard UI you sooner or later get to /admin/relations/add?group_id=1234&rel_type=membership_rel&party_id=2345

In most cases this works pretty fine and a new relationship is done. However, in some cases this does not work. Then the site will report an error like this:

'We had a problem processing your entry:

The party either does not exist or does not belong to this subsite.
Please back up using your browser, correct it, and
resubmit your entry.

Thank you.'

This happens with all users, that also do not get listed
on /admin/relations/add?group_id=3288&rel_type=membership_rel

Why certain users do not get listed here, I do not understand, since by the time I created those users via Login/Register only one subsite existed. The users I tried were all approved.

However, adding users to groups works ALWAYS, if you use direct PLSQL function SELECT membership_rel__new(:group_id, :party_id)

Hmm... seems I'm still a long way from understanding this part of the system.