Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Calendar: how to add public events?

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

I think you add a Calendar with "The Public" as an audience. Then you add events to that calendar.

The Calendar package is a mess. There are no controls for who can post to a calendar. If you want any integrety, as a work around, just mount it somewhere obscure so you can post events, then make a read only calendar using the view page (and the page which shows individual events).

As an example check out the Uniques Unicycle Club Calendar. I just select from a single calendar for these events.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Lazar on
Hi Tom,

thanks for the hint, although I don't quite know what it means to 'set an audience' for a calendar...

in the end i've settled with the following sql statement 😉

update calendars set private_p = 'f';

Now I'll just have to figure out, either how to make new calendars public by default (not so nice) or how to enable people to add events to a calendar other than their own (i.e. the public one)

any hints on that?

thx,

t.

Collapse
Posted by Sean Redmond on

My hint is to stop trying, because every step you take will lead you further into a swamp. We use OACS for our intranet where we had hoped to be able to have a convenient way to handle personal, departmental and institutional calendars, but it's just impossible.

The frustrating thing is, until we have a good calendar solution, people will keep asking us why we don't just use Outlook and it raises a barrier to their full acceptance of an intranet on which we've worked very hard.

For the good of OACS in the workplace there really needs to be a concerted effort to revamp the calendar so that it can handle:

• Sharing
  • Repeating events
  • Notification
  • The kind of meeting scheduling through email invitations that Outlook does

I'd happily help out in any such effort with coding and testing, but I think it's so central a functionality that the impetus should really come from the core OACS developers.