Forum OpenACS Development: Re: New Specification for Cron Package

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Torben,

Any user given write permission on the package instance can create a cron.

I hadn't considered the potential of using parameters in queries, but I can see how that would be useful. Possibly the 'order' attribute could be removed from cron_scripts and a mapping table could be used instead. This would allow re-use of scripts, or at least it might allow someone to copy public/viewable scripts. I am worried that admins would run into problems ensuring that parameterized queries would not remain a security risk. What would be an example of such a query?

Caroline,

cron_notifications only serves to identify what kind of notification to send, if any. It might be the report generated from running the cron, or maybe a link to the report in something like file-storage. I assume that the standard Notifications Package would be used to hold and send emails.

Crons can be run at any time by the user with write access, but the main purpose of the package is to run reports at specific times, since data changes.

I don't want to oversell the report capabilities of this package. The current package is very limited, providing one inflexible format. The proposed changes will allow you to specify a series of scripts and templates to run, and what to do with the result. But anything that can be written into a script/template combination can be supported.

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
The next step is to nightly send one email with this same report for each task marked complete in the last 24 hours.

If you can write a tcl script to do the job, the current Cronjob Package can schedule the task. In this case you would probably not use the 'sql' field, you would just use the regular db_* api to select data and then insert data into the Notifications Package for delivery.