Forum OpenACS Development: Re: New Specification for Cron Package

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on

Torben, You could create a UI that added crons that would do the required checks for you. This would create a query per subsite with the parameters filled in as you want. I would have to consider if having a parameterized query shared among different owners/users would be useful, or just confusing. What if someone expected certain features of a report and another subsite wanted or lobbied for a change, the change was made and now one other subsite gets upset at the change. So what I was thinking is that each cron would have separate entries for the script, instead of a shared script and a separate parameters table. Btw, nothing prevents a real add-on package that creates and maintains parameters and as a first step runs a script which creates a new query. Any application should be able to load/unload/modify queries as it wishes. My approval process only applies to the Cron Package UI.

One other thing to consider is what happens when 30 essentially identical queries hit the database to run reports at the same time? One idea is to use the proposed pool field of the scripts table. That pool could have enough handles to take care of the load, without affecting too much the website.