Forum OpenACS Development: Re: xowiki 0.50

Collapse
8: Re: xowiki 0.50 (response to 1)
Posted by Eduardo Santos on
Hi Gustaf,

I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but I wanted to ask you about your planes to the future in Xowiki. I'm using it a lot, and I see it as the best Wiki tool available in the Internet. However, there are some things it's not doing right now, and I would like to know what you think about it.

1 - Export pages: I know you can import and export pages very easily right now (as soon as you make sure the encoding is ok) but you don't have the possibility to export the pages in a printable format, like a pdf or a txt file. Let's presume you are making a collaborative book using Xowiki; maybe it would be easier if you could just export it and send to somebody. What do you think about it?

2 - Personal Wikis: I was thinking about a space where the user can put his/her own Wiki (without the need to mount it manually on site map) and put all the knowledge inside an internet page. You could also have a group of students (in .LRN) doing some research together; there should be some place for them to put their thoughts in a collaborative way. Do you intend to do something like it?

I have more thoughts, but these are the most important. I would like to use this opportunity and thank you for the good work. I don't think there's a tool so integrated in the Web 2.0 concept as the Xowiki.

Collapse
9: Re: xowiki 0.50 (response to 8)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Though not being Gustaf, I can recommend for the second question to look into dotfolio for the students / users. dotFolio allows you to have a subsite per user and there they can have their own wiki installation along with their file storage and other things. This does not mean you have to mount it manually (it is done automatically) but it still shows up on the sitemap 😊.