Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Using Sourceforge Subversion for OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
From my extremely limited personal experience, sourceforge is unavailable quite often. I don't ever recall the OpenACS CVS server being unavilable (and if it is, I am one of the people responsible for it.) Does anyone have more experience for using sourceforge for a code repository? Maybe there is a way to mirror commits from an OpenACS SVN repository to sourceforge. That would create a backup of the code, and increase visibility and allow the community to control the official repository.

Currently the openacs.org web site and CVS already resides in the US.

Originally the OpenACS 3 project was in Sourceforge. I don't remember why it was moved. Perhaps someone does remember.

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
dave said: From my extremely limited personal experience, sourceforge is unavailable quite often.

I share this experience, although it became better lately. What's even more disturbing for me is that the time gap between a commit and the availability of a commit can be quite large (from hours to days). This adds another dimension for discussions about which version is installed, and requires either polling for a new version, or sometimes sending versions via email. There are alternatives to sourcefore not having this problem, but still, for visibility sourceforge is certainly better. Mirroring seems a good compromise, although i have no experience with this. Note, that SF is not only a code repository, but also a place for discussions about the code. Have two such places is no good idea from my experience.