Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Using Sourceforge Subversion for OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Tom Jackson on
Isn't one of the prerequisite skills for OpenACS developers the ability to setup a code repository for dev, stage and live? I doubt you will find many good developers who just want to write code and don't need to deploy and customize using the multi-server model; that is, your developers are your users. It is a high bar for entry, but the code is pretty complex. Maybe that is why ArsDigita had boot camps, but they were actually trying to drum up employees during boom times.

I like SVN, but I have not looked into how you can maintain CVS and SVN at the same time, or why you would do that. But if Gustaf is correct about a time delay in commits becoming visible, this is a disaster. Maybe the delay is only for non-developers? Otherwise the whole concept of the repository is lost. I have experienced downtimes with SourceForge, but I don't maintain code there, so I don't know how much it would affect a developer, but downloads via CVS seem slow. Also, AOLserver code is hosted there and you get split discussions with the AOLserver mailing list, and nearly unreadable messages from SourceForge on bugs.