Forum OpenACS Development: Questions about the Categories Package

I would like to add categories to the logger now and I have a number of questions:

1) Is all the latest code in CVS?

2) Are the issues with core changes required by the package resolved?

2) What does it involve to make the categories package run on 4.6?

3) How difficult is it to port the package to PG and is anybody interested in taking on this work?

Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
I don't have an answer for 1-3, but I offered to port what's there to PG. It doesn't look too tough. I haven't been able to start yet but I'll be able to today or tomorrow. Could I get commit privileges on the package?
Collapse
Posted by Timo Hentschel on
Hi Peter!
1) yes (just committed some changes on browsing page)
2) nope. i still have all the necessary stuff in sql/oracle/categories-init.sql and the redirecting page for stable urls is not in cvs yet. I think we agreed more or less on the stable url thing, but named-objects without multilinguality is still an issue (i still prefer not to deal with multilinguality now and just do named-objects)
3) add the table ad_lang, change all uses of [ad_conn locale] to some default value, remove the select-box from cadmin/master
4) port is on its way.
Collapse
Posted by Steve Ivy on
Timo,

I too am looking at a project right now that would need Categories.

1) what is the status of the PG port?
2) is #3 in your list still accurate?

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Steve,

I can't answer to your second question, but PG port should be working since it's used by a few packages which I've recently ported to Postgres.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Steigman on
OK, I just heard from Timo. I'm just going to send the changes to him. It'll probably take me a couple of days between other commitments and work but I hope to finish by Saturday at the latest.
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Sorry for the delay in answering your note, Michael (and granting you commit rights, if Timo's agreeable.)  I've had some family issues to deal with last week and this week which have kept me from spending much time on OpenACS stuff.