Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Installation still broken

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
I understand the lack of package moderation, but at the same time I am puzzled because the current default release is shipped with 3 packages that do not work but is released as final. Try my install... http://villagetalk.net/ See Marc's explanation of the setup) User profile, Selva and Homework do not work out of the box. Neither does XOwiki, so somehow things are still missing. Server restart after installing modules is also broken by the way. It has to be done manually.

Maybe it's an idea to have a few "dummies" like myself run a test install prior to releasing a new version in future, so we can prevent this kind of discussion in public as if we are serious about marketing the toolkit, this kind of trouble is not really positive. Maybe that's a positive way non developers can contribute to the success of the toolkit.

On the other hand, I agree a stupid dummie question, why would stable modules not work under a new release? there's over 90 oacs modules under various releases, yet the latest only shows about 15. I fail to see the logic. If the result of the lack of package maintainers means with each new release we'll loose more of the non core packages it looks like we have an overall management problem. I don't have the answer to that one right now, but will give it a serious thought and see what I can come up with.

As an end user I am interested in the latest tools and tricks so it's a real disappointment to end up in a catch 22 and having to downgrade because I'll loose core functionality, in favor of a breakthrough like Xowiki. To me a stable release means nothing, I want to use the latest improvements, without loosing the stable core!

I am setting up a Pan African business school and hope to be able to find some keen ICT students that might be able to help set up a team of package maintainers, and at the same time make OACS a part of their curriculum http://venbs.wordpress.com/curriculum/

Ben