Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Scalability of acs_objects and acs_object_context_index

I have only been putting in that much data for the last few months. I've got about 50 gig total. Much of it is XML documents and images. I just passed 10,000,000 acs objects. I may be at about 350 gig and 100,000,000 objects by the end of the year.

For hardware I've got 3 Sun X1s, Intel ssl box and a Dell 24?? dual xeon Oracle database with about 500gig mirror disks, Currently I do DNS load balancing but I've got an Arrow Point Load balancer I may hook up. Interesting hardware is dirt cheap these days. The SSL boxes where $250 a piece.

The site is only available to registered users and runs all SSL. It allows insurance companies to order house inspections and inspection companys to complete them and return them. It's really just a many to many B2B site.

We use acs_objects and permissions for everything. Currently I'm running 4.2 but I'd like to upgrade but I'm not sure quite how. I'm also planning on switching to 9i so I guess I'll do it all at once. Maybe I should write a case study for this site.

I will try the view memtioned above and see how it works.

Barry, FYI, Paul Huibers has upgraded a (much smaller than yours) ACS 4.2 site to OpenACS 4.6.x via the "run all upgrade scripts on the database" route. (As opposed to the "clean install of 4.6 and insert all old data" route.) I don't know if that'd be the best way to go for you, but it worked for us. It was not trivial, but a lot of the work may have been Paul fixing broken old upgrade scripts, etc.