Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS Upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6.2

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Hi,
I am trying to upgrade from OpenACS 4.5 to 4.6.2. We have data in the database which we don't want to lose and we're running Postgres 7.3

I'm not quite clear how the upgrade process works?
- I got the latest files from the 4.6.2 and merged them in.
- I restarted AOLServer and tried to go to /acs-admin/apm/ to upgrade the kernal. I get the following error :

Database operation "select" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.") while executing "ns_pg_bind select nsdb0 { select v.version_id, v.package_key, t.pretty_name, v.version_name, v.enabled_p, v.installed_p, v..." ("uplevel" body line 1) invoked from within
- So I then went to /packages/acs-kernal/acs-kernel/sql/postgresql/upgrade and tried to run the upgrade scripts. I got stuck on upgrade-4.6-4.6.1 with the bitfromint4 function. I get the following error when trying to run
select acs_object__new(4,'acs_object',now(),null,null,null);
WARNING: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function int_to_tree_key WARNING: line 22 at return ERROR: Function bitfromint4(double precision) does not exist Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument types You may need to add explicit typecasts

Am I going about upgrading wrong? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Hi

If you look at this posting, they are still recommending postgres 7.2.3 or 7.2.4 with OpenACS 4.6.2. If you want to use 7.3, there is a bug in 7.3.1 and they recommend using a later version of 7.3.

There is an excellent guide on how to upgrade OpenACS versions at http://aufrecht.org/openacs-4.6-quick-guide/ch03s02.html

Collapse
Posted by Avni Khatri on
Hey Tammy,

Thanks. I ended up just reverting back to 7.2.4 and openacs 4.5 and everything seems to be ok.