Forum OpenACS Development: Initialization of an Applet

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to integrate an applet that is initialized with user-specific informations as it is possible with the creation of bulk mail where the following parameters are permitted:

{from_addr} =  Sender's Email Address
{community_name} =  Community's Name
{community_url} =  Community's Web Address
{email} =  Recipient's Email
{first_names} =  Recipient's First Name
{last_name} =  Recipient's Last Name

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Nima,
I'm not sure I understand what you're after. Could you tell us in a little more detail what your use case is? Which application is this for etc.?
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi Peter,
do you remember that when I told you that I want to integrate a complex simulation learning programm with .LRN? It's a client-server application with an Java applet that is served by .LRN as a client. Now to customize the external application I thought of being able to set variables in the html that are interpreted by .LRN and filled with the right values before the page is served to the user.

For example:

<OBJECT classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
    width="600" height="440" align="baseline"
    codebase="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/jinstall-13-win32.cab#Version=1,3,0,0">
    <PARAM NAME="code" VALUE="PDilemma.class">
    <PARAM NAME="codebase" VALUE="/vwl/">
    <PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.3">
    <PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="true">
    <PARAM NAME="firstname" VALUE="{first_name}">
    <PARAM NAME="lastname" VALUE="{last_name}">
        No Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition v 1.3 support for APPLET!!
</OBJECT>

What you see here is the object tag to run a Java applet within a HTML page. The param tag passes info to the applet and the browser about where to find the source code of the applet but also applet initialization data.

Now the to variables first_name and last_name are only to give you an idea how it could look like. This would also be of interest for flash applets or any other html embedded object that is able to read initializing parameters.

Greetings,
Nima