Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: question about static pages

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Hi again,

Yes Andrew, I was trying to get tcl/adp pairs into Static Pages for several reasons; I wanted to be able to Search them, add GeneralComments to them and thus I needed them to be acs_objects which I new StaticPages could do for me.

I don't have much experience using OACS right now, I've been trying it on for size for the past couple months. The hardest part getting started is understanding what all the various packages do and how they work together to accomplish the things they do. Sometimes the "Requirements and Design docs on a package by package basis" approach to understanding the whole of OACS is a bit slow going for me:(

Anyway, I have 2 different functionalities I've been hoping to get from with Static Pages. One is getting tcl/adp pairs parsed and into the database (CR I believe) the second is how to best implement Search on GeneralComments (for HTML and tcl/adp pairs). Here are the links for what it's worth!

Searching GeneralComments (maybe this comes for "free" if it's in the CR?):

Site Wide Search in acs-messaging or general-comments?

Search on general-comments interacts with Object Model, CR, acs-messaging?

Indexing + GeneralComment-ing tcl/adp pairs with StaticPages:

Trouble with comments and links on dynamic pages
The others, Benjamin has already provided.

Andrew, you hit the nail on the head when you brought up "how the CR and content management" should best be setup in OACS. That's is what I'm having a hard time sorting out. I don't fully understand how the CR and CMS are intended to be used to best manage content of any kind in OACS.

And when you said "If feasible, you probably want to have all your content in a package whether it really needs to be or not." Could you elaborate on that?! What does having all my content in a package do for me ? I wish there was an OACS jumpstart seminar offered! Maybe one could be offered at LinuxWorld?!