Forum OpenACS CMS: Re: Some basic reflections on what a CMS has to do

Collapse
Posted by Danielle Hickie on
Dave, that sounds like a great application of the idea. In what way do you think the CR could be better used?

Here's a thought... Say you have a website about vacume cleaners. It has an 'About our company' section, and a 'latest news' section. The about us section has a mission statement and history of the company page and a few other pages. They might need updating say once every 6 months if that.

Then in in the latest news section, you have a page which is an overview of the three latest news stories. You display a paragraph and a link to the full story on the next page. You also have three supporting pictures, and this whole section turns over very quickly, say two news stories a day about vacume cleaners. (PR department gone mad)

I think that ETP would be perfect for the about us section, but pretty miserable for that latest news section. One thing we have to do with all our stories is keep them in the system for legal reasons... sometimes we get legal charges on what we say and we need to be able to retrieve whole pages and different versions of the stories. (This is very rare, but we need to be able to do it.) You could probably keep old versions of pages using ETP right?

I think that you need a page that breaks news down into fields specific to the content type. Why? Well, I think because you might want an 'Review our old stories' page to display all the titles published, by title and author, latest first in descending order.

Or you might want to just do something with one little attribute associated to that content type in another module. Could you do that with ETP? (Dani thinks she must really look in to ETP very soon!)