Forum OpenACS Q&A: UI for organizations

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Hi all,

I was wondering what would be the right way to go about creating a UI for the organizations package.

Since it is listed as a service, perhaps it is not intended to have a UI, and only other packages that depend on it should write a UI on top of it?

Or, is it okay to write a UI for it? If so, I'd be happy to volunteer for the job.

Or should I write a package that depends on it, called something like organizations-ui, which allows you to list all the organizations, add them, and edit them as well?

Collapse
2: Re: UI for organizations (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Help me out, what is the organizations package to do? If it is only mimicking the hierarchie of an organisation, use the categories package for this and categoriese the users accordingly to which part(s) of the organization they belong to. This way you don't have to worry about UI anymore :).
Collapse
3: Re: UI for organizations (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
Malte,
That is not what organizations is for.
It is part of HR-XML and models an organization or Company.
Collapse
4: Re: UI for organizations (response to 1)
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Organizations models companies, and makes them parties.

It is if you want a data model for companies or organizations.

The data model looks good. You can add in unlimited addresses and phone numbers, and it handles international formats. I think Jon thought through this pretty well.

But I also haven't used it very much yet.

So I don't think using categories would work in this case.

Bart said that he thought it was okay to write a UI for a service, so unless I hear otherwise, I plan to work on it today.

Collapse
5: Re: UI for organizations (response to 1)
Posted by Jon Griffin on
It models the parts of the contact information to be exact. Mainly for inclusion in the Contacts HR-XML standard.