Forum OpenACS Q&A: Direct Deposit

Collapse
Posted by Luis Garcia on
Hi,
right now I am developing an application base on OpenACS. I need to add a module capable to do direct deposit to some people and suppliers from OpenACS. For those familiar with QuickBooks, it is something similar to what they do for payroll, except that I am not doing payroll. The concept, however, it's the same: money from my company's account to their accounts. I have never done something like this. If any one has an idea where to start or what to read, etc., I'd appreciate some help.
Thank you.
Collapse
2: Re: Direct Deposit (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi Luis,

Allthough I just managed to get logger working, and havn't played around much it looks like this could be a start. Link that with "notifiations", and you have a basic platform. I guess the basic OACS user information takes care of the rest. As matter of fact I am in need of a similar set up, so I'll keep you posted on my findings. here may be some usefull tidbits in the "payment gatway" and "e-commerce" you could also use.

cheers
Ben

Collapse
3: Re: Direct Deposit (response to 1)
Posted by Ben Koot on
Collapse
4: Re: Direct Deposit (response to 1)
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Luis,

I would recommend researching the available direct deposit protocols interfaces. Direct Deposits are usually (in the US at least) handled through Automatic Clearing Houses (ACH).

I haven't looked into them myself but I can tell you that they are different that Credit Card transactions. Which means that you can not use the payment-gateway for direct deposit transactions. The payment-gateway is a good package to explore to get an idea of how you could define an gateway for direct deposit transactions and subsequently write an implementation for the ACH you'll be working with.

/Bart

Collapse
5: Re: Direct Deposit (response to 1)
Posted by Lachlan Myers on
Direct deposits and payments are usually passed through your bank to whatever clearing system applies. They have a good deal in common with cheques/checks - and will incur similar fees if there's no funds left to make the payments

The actual protocol will be the one your bank has set up for its customers, and they will then package up the transactions and add them to whatever processing stream they pass to the settlement agency. Banks usually accept common electronic means of transmission - dial-up, floppy disk, mag tape ...

But you can't interface directly with the clearing system, and have to go through the banks. Good news is its pretty common, and the bank should have good information and a range of acceptable ways of getting the data to them. Bad news is that it may change if you change banks.

Contact the bank and ask for their elctronic banking experts.