Forum OpenACS Development: Problems using chat

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Hi,
I have downloaded chat (5.0d6) from cvs. I am using the latest xotcl-core (0.51) and patched the aolserver for background delivery.

But when I try to send a message I get:

::bgdelivery: unable to dispatch method 'send_to_subscriber'
while executing
"bgdelivery send_to_subscriber chat-[my chat_id] [my json_encode_msg $msg]"
(procedure "broadcast_msg" line 3)
::template::c1 ::xo::Chat->broadcast_msg
invoked from within
"my broadcast_msg [Message new -volatile -time [clock seconds] -user_id $user_id -msg $msg -color $color]"
(procedure "add_msg" line 12)
::template::c1 ::xo::Chat->add_msg
invoked from within
"c1 add_msg $message"

Any idea?

Collapse
2: Re: Problems using chat (response to 1)
Posted by Matthew Coupe on
I'm having the same problem with chat, after installing xotcl-request-monitor.

I don't have bgdelivery installed or enabled as far as I am aware, I will try installing that and update.

Collapse
3: Re: Problems using chat (response to 2)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Can it be that you have packages/xotcl-request-monitor/tcl/background-delivery-procs.tcl
installed on your system? If yes, delete it. The file was deleted in CVS Sat Apr 8 00:14:36 2006 UTC (14 months, 1 week ago) by gustafn

hope this helps
-gustaf

Collapse
4: Re: Problems using chat (response to 3)
Nope, not got that file on there.

I have
xotcl-core 0.47
xotcl-request-monitor 0.38
xowiki 0.47
chat 5.0d6

Collapse
5: Re: Problems using chat (response to 4)
Does enabling bgdelivery and applying that patch require a complete re-installation of aolserver?

Can't find instructions on how to apply it to an existing instance without reinstalling.

Cheers

Collapse
6: Re: Problems using chat (response to 1)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
i think, i found and fixed the problem. The problem was not directly related to the xotcl-request-monitor, but to libthread (although most people install libthread for the XOTcl request monitor). The old code checked for the existence of libthread and was switching to the nicer steaming mode, when it was installed. However, bgdelivery requires as well my ns_conn patch to work (see https://openacs.org/xowiki/weblog-portlet?ptag=bgdelivery).

Most probably you have libthread but not the patched aolserver installed. The patch for this problem is in CVS head, if you don't want to upgrade to the current xotcl-core, take the following change: http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs-4/packages/xotcl-core/tcl/chat-procs.tcl?r1=1.13&r2=1.14 If my theory is right you should have a slightly different error message as nima (something like "unknown command bgdelivery"), since bgdelivery is only created, when the patch is installed. my best guess for nima's problem is still https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=1049294.

Concerning reinstalling: the patch to the aolserver requires a compilation of the aolserver (including a "make install"). It requires a reinstallation of the aolserver, but not of your openacs instance.

Collapse
7: Re: Problems using chat (response to 6)
That worked a treat thanks Gustaf,

I didn't need to recompile aolserver with libthread using the chat-procs fix. I'll save that for a few months time.

I'm not sure how people manage to keep up with all the developments on OpenACS at the moment!

Cheers.