Forum .LRN Q&A: Calendar features - ICAL - SyncML

Collapse
Posted by Christian Fuchs on
First: I wonder if someone is working on a function which lets users add iCal oder Google Calendar subscriptions to OpenACS.
It would be very nice if every user could subscribe to an iCAL an have it displayed on their own calendar along with other openacs calendars?
With the click at the entry the remote calendar (ie. Google calendar) with the correct day would be opened in a new windows)

Second: Does someone use SyncML for synchronizing Openacs Calendar with Cell phones or PDAs over SyncML?

Thanks

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
We have a version of the calender in production since more than two years that allows

a) to download iCAL calenders into OpenACS
b) to publish calenders via iCAL (others can subscribe)
c) sync calenders based on iCAL

This is tested with mozilla calender and the program iCAL under Mac OS X. The publishing semantics are different between Mozilla and Mac OS X iCAL (if one downloads a calender on Mac OS X and publishes the calender again, the entry IDs are changed, so a bidirectional syncing is not possible). Already importing calenders into OpenACS calender is quite useful, since one can e.g. download public holidays and provide this as entries for all users.

I have implemented this functionality quite a long time ago, so it is not unlikely, that porting it to the actual release will require some work.

We have done no work for integrating Google calendar or SyncML.

Collapse
Posted by Jose Pablo Escobedo Del Cid on
Gustaf,

We are very interested on the iCAL feature. Please, let us know when you do the porting or if there is another wat to get the code and try to do it ourselves.

TIA,

jopez

Collapse
Posted by Koen Breugelmans on
Hi there,

was there any decision made on this? I'm going to look into getting the Calendar instances my workplace has, shared amongst the iCal/Mozilla Sunbird users too. still need to learn a lot about this, so I want to decide where I'll start first :)

kind regards,
koen.