Forum OpenACS Q&A: mounting a package on /

Collapse
Posted by Jonathan Ellis on
I want to have ecommerce be the "root" package for a site, i.e., that's what users see when they go to mysite.com/.  It's not obvious to me how to do this with the Site Map, though -- I can't unmount Main Site from / and I suspect trying to force it from psql wouldn't be the brightest move. :0

I'm 99% sure I've seen this answered on the forums before and I apologize for asking it again, but thanks to not having a forum-specific search I can't find it in the morass of unrelated doc pages my searches return...

Collapse
Posted by Tobel Graves on
You might want to check out the index.vuh file that openacs.org uses as the / address. It redirects from acs-subsite to an instance of ETP here's the code:
ad_page_contract {
  packages/editthispage/www/index.vuh

@author Luke Pond (dlpond@pobox.com)
  @creation-date 2001-06-01

Virtual URL Handler to serve files from an
  instance of the Edit This Page package.

Helpful .vuh example at
  http://www.arsdigita.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000JTn
} {
        {revision_id ""}
}

ad_conn -set revision_id $revision_id

# get the portion of the url following the package directory
set name [ad_conn path_info]

#ns_log Notice "index.vuh: request for $name"

if { [string index $name end] == "/" } {
    # it's in a subdirectory, and we know there's no
    # other package mounted on that subdirectory.
    ns_returnnotfound
}

set server_root [file dirname [ns_info pageroot]]

if {[empty_string_p $name] || $name == "index"} {
    set path "$server_root/[etp::get_application_param index_template]"
} elseif {[string match "etp*" $name]} {
    # this trickery is for serving pages from the top level,
    # where the acs-subsite package is mounted rather than
    # the editthispage package.  normally the request processor
    # finds these before invoking this file.
    set path "$server_root/packages/edit-this-page/www/$name"
} else {

set path "$server_root/[etp::get_application_param content_template]"

# set up form variables so we can pass the "name"
    # variable to the content page.
    global _ns_form
    set _ns_form [ns_set create]
    ns_set put [ns_getform] "name" $name
}

ns_log Notice "Edit This Page index.vuh: serving $path"

rp_serve_abstract_file $path
HTH Tobel
Collapse
Posted by Tobel Graves on
Here's a cvsweb link where you can dl the file:

http://cvs.openacs.org/cvs/openacs.org-dev/www/index.vuh

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Actually that is not quite true. That is a hack to display ETP content served from the site root. I don't think it is necessarily a good idea.

We recently got this question on the #openacs irc channel also. We suggested redirecting to the proper place so the user will end up at /ecommerce/ or whatever you call it.

A nice generalized solution to serve content from the site root would be great.

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
There is even an acs-kernel parameter for this redirect: IndexRedirectUrl - it is used for example in dotLRN to redirect to /dotlrn/ automatically.

This should definitely be a parameter of acs-subsite and not acs-kernel - I will enter a bug report for that now if there is none yet.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Actually only the main subsite executes /SERVER/www/index.tcl which is why I made that parameter a kernel rather than subsite parameter.  Subsites under the main subsite execute /SERVER/packages/acs-subsite/www/index.tcl.

We talked in Copenhagen about a more general facility for subsites to do something different, for instance to return a portal page rather than a template page, but that lies in the future.

Collapse
Posted by David Cotter on
<blockquote> Actually only the main subsite
executes /SERVER/www/index.tcl which is why I made that
parameter a kernel rather than subsite parameter.
Subsites under the main subsite
execute /SERVER/packages/acs-subsite/www/index.tcl.
</blockquote>

A slightly related question if I mount two subsites they will both execute /SERVER/packages/acs-subsite/www/index.tcl which I think lists packages mounted on the subsite. How do people go about customizing the individual subsites?

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
A slightly related question if I mount two subsites they will both execute /SERVER/packages/acs-subsite/www/index.tcl which I think lists packages mounted on the subsite. How do people go about customizing the individual subsites?

In general you can customize individual packages, including subsites, to a limited degree by manipulating the "ad parameters" for the package instance. But I don't know of any simple way to have different Tcl code run for each subsite.

I've often thought that OpenACS would benefit from a package that maps a package instance to a physical directory. That would make it much easier to create the kind of one-off pages that often cause folks to fork their code.

Here's a sketch of a design. Borrowing some terminology from the java world, call the package acs-context-path. This package contains a file www/index.vuh that works as follows:

1. Any request that maps to an instance of acs-context-path is forwarded to index.vuh.
  2. index.vuh uses the package_id to query for the instance's ContextPath parameter, which maps the package instance to a subdirectory of /SERVER/context-path-custom-contexts.
  3. index.vuh maps the package instance-specific part of the URL to physical files in the instance-specific subdirectory.

Note that the custom contexts directory is intentionally placed outside the packages/acs-context-path to allow for easy upgrading. Note also that this package functions sort of like a mini request-processor, and should re-use as much request processor code as possible.

I see this as a way to let programmers create highly-customized "gateway" pages to stuff that looks like standard OpenACS. In my experience, most customers have very specific ideas about how their homepage should look and work, but aren't as picky about the deeper module pages. acs-context-path, or whatever we decided to call it, would provide a relatively painless way to do this, giving the programmer complete and total control while supporting an upgrade path.

Collapse
Posted by David Cotter on
In terms of customizing subsites (and other packages) I discovered a way that answers my question:

If I create a subsite called students and mount two apps forum and news. To have a nice homepage for the subsite I simply create a directory /SERVER/www/students and in there write my fancy homepage in index.html (or .tcl/.adp) .

The request processor will give precedence to /SERVER/www/students/index over /SERVER/packages/acs-subsite/www/index.tcl for the url http://mydomain/students

Any apps mounted like students/forum or student/news will still be accessible from links in my fancy homepage.

Collapse

Yeah, good point. Everything I described above can be achieved by simply overriding URLs in www. One thing to note in this approach is that non-overridden URLs will still be accessible (e.g. http://mydomain/students/register/permissions/one.tcl?object_id=0), which may or may not be what you want.

Collapse
Oops, slight bug in that URL, should be http://mydomain/students/permissions/one.tcl?object_id=0.