Forum OpenACS Development: Re: acs_atributes usage ?

Collapse
15: Re: acs_atributes usage ? (response to 1)
Posted by Robert Locke on
Would like to revive this thread.

I think it would be very cool if OACS had a generic facility for creating search/edit/add/delete forms for any object type.  As well as the ability to add/delete attributes for these object types.  Perhaps even allow the creation of subtypes from an existing parent type.

As a potential application of this, imagine being able to add attributes to the "user" type and having these attributes automagically appear in the site registration and user profile forms.  This might also greatly simplify the creation of new packages as well as allow for super-fast prototyping.

I poked around a bit, and it seems that we have bits and pieces of this in the OACS currently (ie, attribute::* for managing attributes, attribute::add_form_elements in particular for generating dynamic forms, define_function_args, ETP has its own attribute manager, etc.).  But overall this API and acs_attributes in general seems to be sparingly used.

Barry: you had a lot of great ideas in this thread.  You also mentioned that you might release your code.  Any news?

Would this be an worthwhile goal for the upcoming 5.0 release?

Collapse
Posted by Robert Locke on
<blockquote> I think it would be very cool if OACS had a generic
facility for creating search/edit/add/delete forms for
any object type
</blockquote>

Just to be extra clear, I meant the auto-generation of forms and code for searching/editing/adding/deleting objects of a given type.