Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: dotlrn translation

Collapse
5: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 1)
Posted by jorge freitas on
Manuel, I appreciate the help, you can tell me all about the system and how it works. But at this moment i'm in the same situation of Windell, needing whit urgency to know how to put acs-lang to work and how to use it to translate my dotlrn installation. If one of you find any help in this matter, please tell me about it, i'll do the same. If anyone else knows someting about it, any help will be welcome. Thanks.
Collapse
11: Re: dotlrn translation (response to 5)
Posted by Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo on
in order to translate, you have to go to the site that Jarkko said, and log in (create an account before if needed, etc).

then, you have to choose to either complete the pt_BR translation or to set up the pt_PT one (I can create the "language" for you) and begin from scratch.

at the botton of the index page in the site, there's a "Getting Started" little guide. there are two methods:

- to activade the "translator mode", so when you enter the dotlrn site you have the same interface, but can click in each message to translate/edit it. I think that this is useful to fix the mistakes done with the other method (mistakes because of the lack of context with the second method, mispellings, etc), translate all the site with this is quite slow/boring.

- following the "Edit Messages" link in that getting started guide, you choose your locale and go to a page where you can translate all messages, no need to surf the interface seeking for all the translatable strings. in addition, there're some error conditions that you won't reach in normal circumstances, so you can't translate everything with the first method.

whatever the method, it's important to have some discipline and to coordinate with the other people, to use the same terms, etc., to do a good translation.

I can't help you with putting this to work in a production system; but you must have into account that if you translate  your installation, the rest of the community does not benefit from your work and, in addition, even you can't benefit from your own work when you upgrade, unless you do some kind of -I guess, complicated- hacking when you upgrade. anyway, I think that if you can do this you can also translate in the translation server, and hack your installation with translations from the CVS when commited, and so it's best from all of us :)