Forum OpenACS Q&A: Moving the entire openACS installation onto new hard drive

Hi,

I have installed the entire OpenACS software on an existing hard drive. I am done with my postgreSQL and AOL server installation and everything seems to be working fine. Now, I want to move my entire setup onto a new hard drive that I have physically added to my system. Will I be able to do that without reinstalling everything? Once I do that, will I be able to unplug the hard drive and plug it into another system and have the OpenACS up and running immediately. Please let me know. Any advice would be higly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ram.

Just shut down AOLserver and PG first, then copy the relevant directories over to the new hard drive.

As to whether or not you can then unplug the drive and have it work on another system, well ... are you installing Linux on it?  Or will it be a second drive in the new system with Linux already running on it?

And if it is a second drive, will it be mounted with the same path etc?

If you really replicate things precisely moving it should be a snap but you have to replicate a lot more than your OpenACS installation...

I can turn the AOL server off and I haven't started the PG yet. I want just the OpenACS stuff on my new hard drive and the linux on the old hard drive. What all do I need to move to have it functioning correctly? I intend to plug this into another system with the same set up, linux on the old har drive and OpenACS on the mounted one with the sane path.

Thanks.

You should be able to copy all the files over using a simple cp -R command. Once you've done that you can remove the drive and mount it in a different machine with no problems though you'll have to remember to configure the new machine to make sure everything starts at boot.

I am new to this entire thing. Can you please tell me what are all the files that I need to copy? I think I am missing out some files.
Thanks.
You will have to copy your web directory (usually /web though that may have changed in more recent versions of the documentation), your AOLServer (/usr/local/aolserver) and PG (/usr/local/pgsql) and your init scripts (location depends on distribution).

If you haven't done any customisation or used the site yet then you are probably better off doing a clean installation on the new machine and taking note of where you install everything.

I moved everything to the new hard drive. I did userdel postgres so that it would create all the database folders in the new hard drive when I do useradd postgres again. I changed some run scripts to change the paths to the new hard drive. But when I connect to
http://yourserver.test. It connects to the web page but
I am getting the following errors
OpenACS cannot allocate handle from database pool"pool2"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Your database is not running. That's about all I can tell from the information you gave us. I think deleting the postgres user was a mistake.