Forum OpenACS Development: Re: dotWRK: Project Manager

Collapse
Posted by Jade Rubick on
Sorry for the volume of email. I want to make sure that I keep the development process transparent, and allow others to comment on what we're building, because I think the project-manager is going to be a piece of software a lot of people will want to use. It also affects so many other packages that it's important to coordinate with what everyone else is doing.

I looked at the data model for Logger, and it looks like Peter was intending to replace the private Project table in Logger with the project-manager's Project table:

"Log entries are grouped by projects. Once we have a dedicated
project management package for OpenACS this table will be superseeded by tables in that package. In order to make such a change easier in the future we are not referencing the logger_projects table directly in the logger datamodel but instead reference acs_objects."

So perhaps what I can do is when I get around to adding hours to project-manager, we can create upgrade scripts and bump up logger a version. I'll then make project-manager depend on that version. Can two packages depend on each other? Ideally, logger would also then depend on project-manager being present.

However, looking at the bug-tracker data model, it looks like "components" are hard coded as a regular table, so I don't think what Dave is suggesting will work without a lot of work.

I think what I'll do with Tasks is make them an application built on Workflow, based on bug-tracker. Please speak up if you have any better ideas.