Forum OpenACS Q&A: What does the File-Storage permissions?

Collapse
Posted by Tim Adler on
Hi everybody!

I just mounted in a new File-Storage through the sitemap.

First problem I had was that the package called "person" where some functions for FS are taken from is called "ACS_USER" in our system. No prob I changed that.

Now everything works except for the access control. The URL it points to is "/permissions" but there is nothing mounted under that directory. What am I missing to get it work?

Thx for you help, Tim

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Where did you get your copy of file storage?

It sounds like it is out of whack with whatever version of the OpenACS core you're using ...

Collapse
Posted by Tim Adler on
I'm one of the Bertelsmann-guys. We're using the you know what core ;)!

There was this file-storage package that I just mounted in the Sitemap. But there is nothing mounted under "/permissions". Do I have to do that manually, or is it normally done by the file-storage somehow.

Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
Tim, if I remember correctly the "the you know what core" file storage doesn't work at all. Frankly I'm astonished that it can be mounted.

Here's what I would do: create a subsite of type library and then create an object type with the attributes filename (type type) and file (type file) - then you have your file-storage.

If you want permissions to point to something useful, look at other modules that have been implemented properly and just change the URL on the adp page.

Collapse
Posted by Robert Locke on
FYI, "/permissions/" is never mounted.  It falls under the main acs-subsite which is mounted under "/".

Check out "packages/acs-subsite/www/permissions/*" to see what I mean.

Good luck!

Collapse
Posted by Tim Adler on
@dirk: We already have a library object type named "document" which people can add files to. But(t), of course now everybody wants to have something like version control and we saw that the file-storage module was ideal for that.
The file-storage module is working quite well. I only noticed two flaws:
1. The permissions can not be set, as I already pointed out.
2. The context bar has false links when looking at a file, but I was already investigating that manner and I think that was solvable.

@Robert: I see that we have a "Main Site" mounted under "/". Is it possible that this "/permissions" came in in a younger version than ours, or can I still get it to work somehow?

Collapse
Posted by Tim Adler on
I've noticed that we have a dir called
/packages/acs-subsite/www/permissions
but there is nothing in there!
Collapse
Posted by Dirk Gomez on
Tim, just look into the other files to see how context bar is working - take calendar because it is a very simple package.

As to permissions: I don't remember anymore how we implemented that. You may go to community administration and then there should be a "Manage permissions" link. Try that.

Collapse
Posted by Robert Locke on
I'm not familiar with the you-know-what core.  Sounds like something from Harry Potter. =)

All I can say is that all OACS distributions as far back as I can remember have non-empty permissions directories under acs-subsite.  I do not know why yours is empty.  Maybe you can grab the files from the appropriate OACS version in CVS?

Collapse
Posted by Tim Adler on
This is how WE do permissions: There's always a link in every subcomm called "Manage modules" and under that there's a link "permissions" for every module. I don't know any other place to do permission.
The permissions for the have nothing to do with the module-permissions as far as I noticed.

@context-bar: The file-storage context-bar is done in a specific way and I already found the function. It's just some links...I think I can do that.

@Robert: The "You-Know-What"-core is this one here:
https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=112022
GPL live long and prosper 😉 !