Forum OpenACS Development: Re: ad_parameter deprecated in favor of parameter::get?

The real problem is, you are trying make explicit showing the callee's context in the caller's context.  For one, this is not always desirable for reasons that you dismiss as unimportant.  Fine.  But for two, forcing the user to do the IDE's job is a poor idea; it is inexcusably poor when tools to perform this particular task have been around for years.

Part of being a programmer is using and creating appropriate tools; we no longer code in assembly and neither should we be coding in Notepad or fixing "problems" that only exist when you refuse to use adequate tools.

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Sorry but I am not following what you are talking about.  "forcing the user to do the IDE's job is a poor idea;" Is this an analogy or does it apply directly to what we're talking?

I also do not understand the references to Notepad, etc. What are the "adequate tools" you are referring to and what are the problems they do or don't solve?

I have lost the point of this thread:(

Anyway, I in no way intended to get involved in some long rant/flame about our personal levels of guru-ness or intelligence...  I honestly thought opinions were being asked of others on their preferences on named parameters. I gave mine. I'm beginning to regret it:(

or just getting bored... or something...