Forum OpenACS Development: Re: ad_parameter deprecated in favor of parameter::get?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Yep, I wrote my first C code in 1974, to change the terminal interface distributed with PDP-11 Unix to use Dec-standard full-duplex line editing rather than the half-duplex line editing style they'd copied from Multics.

That probably doesn't mean anything to anyone here other than me ...

As far as style goes, "good style" is rarely an absolute.  Within the C community itself, function headers (prototypes) as implemented in other languages were once considered verbose and redundant, a Pascal-ism if you will for the weak of mind.  Yet after C++ introduced function prototypes, the C camp finally warmed up to them, included them in ANSI C, and today the use of function prototypes is considered good style by most, but not all, C programmers.  For example the author of daemon tools apparently is old-camp and refuses to use them, but his view is nowadays the minority view.

So your high-handed "I know better" approach to issues of style shows, among other things, a certain lack of perspective.  When Open Force proposed adopting the named parameter approach, they argued among other things that it was good style ...